Saturday, September 27, 2008

What I've Read: A Death In Belmont

When I first read The Perfect Storm I was stunned. Floored into reading this tragic true life story of some fisherman from Massachusetts who were caught in one of the freakiest natural events ever. Three massive storms all colliding at once off the Atlantic Coast and the ship, The Andrea Gail, simply disappeared. All the crew were lost, and the story had such impact they made a movie out of it. The movie wasn't great, but James Horner's soundtrack has been used countless times since and it does have a home on my iPod. I've always possessed a fear of drowning, but this book took it to a whole new level, describing in aching, scientific detail over 4 pages how a human being drowns and what happens. I wish it upon no one. And it certainly gives you an idea of how effed up waterboarding has to feel, and how wrong that practice must be.

I was a huge fan of author Sebastian Junger from the minute I started reading Storm. As a journalist, he brings a realism and passion to his writing that is easy to understand and yet compelling stuff you don't want to put down. I eagerly have been awaiting a sequel, and it came in an unexpected form.

A handyman who worked on his house when he was 9 years old was arrested for raping several Boston-area women and then, while in prison, confessed to killing 13 more as the Boston Strangler. So his perspective and point of view in A Death in Belmont takes on a much more intimate and personal feel. Like any good journalism story, this one has some great twists. Without giving anything away, there is the strong possibility that a man named Roy Smith was improperly arrested, tried and sent to jail for life for a crime he may not have actually committed. The man who admitted to the killings, Albert DeSalvo, may have died with all the secrets buried with him. I really enjoyed the book, for the questions it leaves you debating and the randomness of the events that are all interconnected. I highly recommend the book for anyone who enjoys a fascinating (and real) crime story.

No comments: