Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Movie Challenge

After a strong start, we haven't kept up a torrid pace to knocking movies off the AFI 100 list. But we did manage to take two off.

It's a Wonderful Life (1942): I could not believe it when the wife told me she hadn't seen this movie from start to finish. We've probably watched A Christmas Story 11,000 times over the years during the Christmas season, but she'd never seen this Jimmy Stewart classic. It's always amazing to watch this and remember how hot Donna Reed was. Stunning lady. If there is someone else besides the wife who hasn't seen this movie yet, just know it's a holiday classic that is must-watch status. Even though it has some cheese ball moments (including some of the hammiest "we're drunk" scenes from guys who are not even remotely intoxicated), there is still some great stuff to think about in this movie. Themes of appreciating what you have, knowing what's important versus what isn't, and don't ever wander across a bridge during a snowstorm are all touched upon. I'm not saying you have to watch this movie instead of seeing Ralphie shoot his eye out, but you could do much, much worse.

Yankee Doodle Dandy (1946): This was a rare one on the list that neither of us had seen. Which is only shocking because it has a lot of singing and dancing, something that I think was drilled into my wife from the moment she exited the birth canal. Ok, maybe that was a little strong. But in any case, it was weird to see that she hadn't at least seen it. I thought it was fiction at first, but learned it's actually the true biographical story of George Cohan, a vaudeville actor who ends up being the biggest badass in Broadway history. This movie charts his life beginning with his family and then making a name for himself. There are about 18 musical numbers in this movie, many of which are war songs that the wife's grandfather absolutely loves and has on CDs that he plays in the house when people are around. Good stuff. I'm not sure if they play this movie during 4th of July or Memorial Day weekends, but they should; it's very patriotic stuff. I'm honestly not sure if I'll ever watch this again because it wasn't the greatest movie I've ever seen (probably why it was the last movie to make the cut on the list), but hey, it did make the list so it means it had to be watched.

1 comment:

GreenMom said...

it is played every 4th of July - usually on TCM.....i will admit I have watched it almost every year - for some reason I love this movie