Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Night of Deception

Tonight I get the pleasure of seeing one of my favorite people in person. Oddly, he's not super-famous or anything, just a guy who does card tricks, has a voice made for storytelling and flat-out seems to be a cool guy.

It's Ricky Jay, someone you're more likely familiar with from his small roles in Boogie Nights, State and Main, and a host of David Mamet films. I can't say when I first started liking the guy. I know Penn & Teller talked about him a few times and I've always been fans of theirs. But I did see this trick on a TV special a long time back and once he started popping up in movies that I already liked, I figured the guy had to be a cool cat to hang out with.



He's giving a talk tonight at the Folger on "Deception." I have a feeling I may not even see any card tricks, as cool as that would be. Maybe he'll just rant for a bit on things and it won't be anything that amazing. He even makes reciting old poems sound cool.



But I've always wanted to see the guy in person and I'm glad I'll be able to check this off the list. And if he happens to pull a deck of cards from his coat pocket, all the better for me.


No comments: