Thursday, January 10, 2013

My Sister's Not-So-Secret Food Joy

One of the surprises of this recent holiday break was learning one of my sister's food crushes. Girl loves herself some White Castle. Needless to say, I was both stunned and proud.

As someone who admittedly ate quite a fair share of those greasy, oniony, grilled burgery delights. Let's be clear, the things are damn delicious. They get you thinking things you wouldn't dream of doing, but you suddenly find yourself talking to yourself not unlike this:



Believe me, this is real. Anyway, I was not only shocked to hear her talk about her trips to White Castle when she's back in Louisville (poor Denver is not blessed with the shining white beacon on a dark, desolate street), but that she likes it so much that someone gives her gift certificates so she can eat them for free. Outstanding.

So before she left on her flight we took 30 minutes to drive down the road and sit at the grimy counter and chow down a four-pack. Being the first time I can remember eating a White Castle burger in probably 10 years, holy crap if they were not spectacular. I was shocked by how "nice" and "clean" the White Castle establishments have tried to become. I appreciated the dirty, nasty floors and the grease-stained window where you stood and watched these ladies cook 40 or so of these burgers at once. It's less depraved in appearance but the clientele are still the same.

We laughed when a guy in front of us in line gave us a well-reasoned pitch on which combo packs to order so that we could best maximize the money on her gift certificate. I even snapped a great picture of her proving her devotion to the White Castle cause.

And when we sat down, I loved every bite, and I even ate mine faster than her.

No comments: