Monday, July 27, 2009

What I've Watched: Blindsight

I miss rock climbing. Damn, I was good at it, and maybe I still am. Who knows, maybe it's like riding a bike. I've never camped before, not once, but watching movies like Blindsight makes me think it could be really fun. Especially if there was a goal like the summit of Mount Everest at the end of it. Just kickin it at the gorge in Kentucky just isn't enough.

Watching Blindsight is something you should do if you're just looking for a pure-hearted documentary. It starts with a guy named Erik Weihenmayer, who was the first blind person to scale Everest. Think about that for a second. Oh, hell, think about it for a few minutes. A blind guy climbed to the top of the highest peak on the planet (and seven of the other highest peaks in the world as well). I'm happy when I catch the train on time in the morning.

Erik then decides that as a confidence builder and life-changing experience, he's going to get guides and lead a team of 8 blind tibetan children to the top of Everest. Sounds crazy, right? We're talking about a mountain and an experience that kills even the most seasoned climbers. Read Into Thin Air and tell me I this sounds like a good idea for a bunch of young kids with no climbing experience.

Well, in the end the movie breaks down some stereotypes and also shows the insides to cultures I thought I knew about but clearly only the surfaces. Gives you a better understanding of the power of giving yourself something to strive for that may be bigger than you can think possible.

1 comment:

chelsea said...

well, the next time you come to Colorado Jason can take you climbing, and we can camp. That is all they do here!