Friday, July 31, 2009

What I've Watched: The Hangover

All I heard for weeks on end was that The Hangover was the best comedy of the decade. Friends of mine on Facebook were ribbing me for not having seen it on opening weekend and even more stupid for waiting weeks and weeks to check it out.

Well, jackoffs, I saw it. And I have to say, I was not sold. This isn't to say the movie was bad. It was, in fact, a decent movie and had some great comedic bits in it. But best comedy of the decade? Far from it. Maybe it's my sensitivity on what I consider funny these days. Old School, Knocked Up, Pineapple Express, these were all great comedies and I can almost quote them verbatim, especially Old School.

Sadly, I just think Hangover relied on too many old tricks. For awhile, it did a great job of sticking to traditional humor of put-downs between guys and some slightly awkward scenes of guys being silly. But after awhile it fell back on stuff that I just don't think are particularly "fall out of your seat" kind of humor. The youngins today laugh nonstop at watching Ed Helms puke three times and Zack Galif-whatever be nearly naked. Me, I'm just not that into puke humor. Gotta sell me another way.

The Rain Man scene was awesome, and beyond the stuff with Mike Tyson and the tiger (which is not nearly as funny as this scene with someone wrestling an animal), the best part of the movie was the photo slideshow during the credits. That almost had me falling out of my chair. But when it's the credits that make you laugh that hard, it's probably a bad sign because you shouldn't have to wait 90 minutes for that kind of laughter in a comedy. Oh well, it was still a solid flik, and I will hopefully find more to enjoy when seeing it on cable.

No comments: