Monday, August 10, 2009

What I've Watched: Funny People

I have no doubts that Sandler, Rogen, Mann, Apatow and the rest of cast are indeed funny people in real life. But holy crap they are not that funny at all in this movie. Sorry, but this movie should have been called Useless People.

Rogen is good as his character, a fledgling comic trying to make the break. His two buddies are more successful but pathetic in their success. Sandler has moments in the movie, but most of the time he's just a spoiled brat who lacks humor unless it's ripping Rogen's heart out every 10 minutes. Mann starts off sincere but then plays the traditional wet rag role women seem to all have to play in Hollywood comedies these days.

I know the movie was supposed to have all these adult-centered themes about growing up and families and responsibility and all that crap. Well, it's just hard separating it from the reality that all these people are enormously rich and are probably more like Sandler's character than I had wanted to admit. It's good Will Ferrell, Jason Bateman, Will Arnett and some others steered clear of this movie because I would hate for all the comics I like watching to be sullied by this movie.

I think the only redeeming thing about the movie was that Sandler wears a UK t-shirt during perhaps the only 7 funny minutes in the movie. That was nice.

2 comments:

KM said...

maybe it would have been better as an opera.

chelsea said...

I agree about this movie, there is no reason it needed to be 2.5 hours, when the only funny parts where in the first 40 minutes.