Thursday, September 17, 2009

What I've Watched: American Meth

Say what you want about the legalization of pot and whatnot, but I have to tell ya, meth right nows seems to be the worst thing man ever created, maybe next to nuclear bombs and Glen Beck.
Some dumbass way back in the day thought this drug could have a purpose, and instead it has evolved over the years and now is one of single biggest problems facing people under the age of 35. Don't believe me? Fine, then watch American Meth and let's talk it out.
When I visited my sister in Denver in the spring, I chuckled and took a snapshot of an anti-meth billboard. I've watched the new Breaking Bad TV show and it's good but certainly makes cooking meth seem like hanging out with Tony Soprano, and it doesn't do a good enough job making you realize how crazy this drug makes you. I've read stories in magazines about meth addiction, and Fast Company even did a huge feature on the lengths the state of Montana is going to try and stop people from doing this drug.
Instead of just showering you with horrible images and vignettes that tear you apart (it does that, don't worry), the documentary also spends lots of time with people who are recovering and others who are making every effort to spread the word.
The scariest thing I have learned about meth from reading up on it is how powerful it hooks you, from the first hit. I've read more than one user say that unlike any drug ever created, meth gives you a high that is so good that you are hooked after the first hit. I know tons of people who have smoked weed, dropped acid, did X and cocaine and whatnot, and the ones I know of who have seen people do meth say it's unlike anything they've ever witnessed.
Just watch the doc and see the 24-year-old mother of four who looks like she's 57 and tore up. Or the mother who used meth all 8 months she was pregnant and listen to her talk about her baby having meth in its system when she was born. It's not a totally depressing movie, though I certainly may make it sound that way. I just think, beyond anything else, kids should be shown the 5-minute clip where the guy goes through all the materials used to cook meth. Cat litter, battery acid, drano, antifreeze. I know there are people out there who just wanna get high, but this is some crazy shit, and I can only hope it never gets hold of someone I know.

No comments: