Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Scorched Earth

Besides kicking some ass and posting my first sub-90 golf round of the year, I spent most of the Memorial Day weekend engaged in what the wife and I called the Scorched Earth campaign. This is our first Spring in the house, and so we were curious how quickly the local flora would consume plants and trees, and hot damn they attacked with a fury. So we had to mount an offensive against some shitty stuff like poison ivy, kudzu and all other manner of spindly weeds that want nothing more than to destroy our tree cover and smother any other happy flowers and bushes we have.

So we armed ourselves to the teeth with all sorts of weed-fighting materials and went to work. The pictures aren't all that exciting because it'll take a few weekends for the treatments and weed-pulling to really show some impact. But Scorched Earth has begun.

The pictures I can show are from the Operation Front Yard campaign of Scorched Earth. Here, we dug out some damn big bushes from the front of the house and planted wee little bushes that will one day get bigger. One day. Like in 2036. But that's OK, those other bushes were weak shit that didn't serve any purpose other than smacking me in the face when I walked behind someone. And at least the piece of land on teh side of the house gets enough sunlight that we are going to try and do some test plantings of other vegetables and see if we can get some lettuces or other greens to grow there. It's just nice looking at these pictures again and remembering the ass-kicking I laid down on pulling these big bushes out by the roots.

Plus, you start kicking so much ass that you talk to the plants and weeds before you rip them to shreds. Things like, "Welcome to Scorched Earth, motherfucker, your friends didn't make it and neither will you." Anytime you can talk shit to something that can't talk back to you, you're coming out a winner everytime.

2 comments:

chelsea said...

You are an idiot. On another note, if you plant lettuces, make sure you know what they are supposed to look like. I ran into that problem last weekend when I couldn't tell what was a weed and what was lettuce (I planted a mix) So, I think next year, I am just going to plant some regular old leaf lettuce, I know what that looks like. But, all my other stuff seems to be coming in fine!

Campbell said...

I'm not worried about being able to tell a weed from a lettuce. I'm not blind. Plus, that's what I have Molly for. Oh, and you're the idiot, idiot. Keep up the wisecracks, and you're sleeping on the sidewalk next week when you come to town.