Tuesday, December 27, 2011

What I've Read (sorta): The Affair

I didn't get a chance to read Lee Child's new Jack Reacher novel before the annual trek back to Kentucky, so I figured it'd make a great book on tape to bide the time through the mountains as we made our way home for the holidays. Typically we've ended up listening to books we don't know much about or just things to pass the time, but now we had the opportunity to catch up on one of our favorite fiction authors and kill the time of the long drive all at once.

How could this possibly go wrong?

Well, it yes ruined when you end up with the worst book narrator I've ever heard. This dude, Dick Hill, reads a book like a crusty old man who puts periods after every word he says, which makes comprehending the action nearly impossible. I. Mean. How. Could. You. Understand. What. Is. Happening. If. Every. Word. Such. As. I. Walked. Through. The. Door. And. Turned. And. Closed. It. Silently. In. Order. To. Go. Undetected. Be. A. Way. To. Listen. To. A. Novel. I thought this was something wrong with the audiobook quality or something, but apparently tons of other listeners had the same reaction, all bashing Dick for being a horrible reader. He then took it up a notch when the book got to the sex scenes, which he read in a way that had me convinced he drives a white panel van on weekends. It was creepy and I just had to fast-forward past them. Creepy, dude, creepy.

The book itself isn't bad, since it's a prequel or sorts to the Jack Reacher legend, but having it read by Creepy McCreeperston means I need another Reacher novel out soon so I can burn the sound of Dick Hill from my mind.

No comments: