Saturday, January 28, 2012

My Movie Challenge

It's been a crazy week at work, so we didn't make much progress on the AFI movie challenge this week. Early in the week when my eyes felt like they would burst into flames and my hands were blazing with early onset arthritis, we did take a break to knock one movie off the list.

The first week of the challenge we watched three movies the wife had never seen that I had already viewed before, so this time we reversed it and went with a classic she knew well.

All About Eve: I cannot tell you how surprised I was by how much I liked this movie. It's a great movie starring Bette Davis (the one from the song), some other people I don't know, and features a brief cameo by Marilyn Monroe in her first film (and is sadly a portend of things to come for her). Better Davis plays a popular Broadway star who meets a young woman who is fascinated with the theatre and a huge fan of Davis' character. They become good friends, but as the movie progresses you find that not is all what it seems. I'd tell more, but I was so pleasantly surprised by how the plot evolved and the excellent dialogue that I don't want to give anything away to those who haven't seen it. I'm not stupid, I know they made good movies by in 1950, but I had not heard much of this movie which is what made it such the great surprise thus far of the movie challenge.

No comments: