Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My Magic 8 Ball

I know this is going to sound weird, but I only used this Magic 8 Ball once and it broke shortly thereafter. But before I discard it, I have to thank it for helping me out. It was a crappy little 8 Ball that a video game company sent me a bunch of years ago, and I don't consider myself much of a superstitious man. But when you are feeling down, you'll damn near try anything.

During one of the low points at my former job, I had just comeback from an interview where I could tell they just weren't into me. It's fine, you can't get every job you apply for, but I was feeling a little down and it was well past that point where work was getting bad and people were being particularly crummy toward me on a regular basis where they had once been my closest colleagues and friends.
So I picked up the 8 Ball on a whim and asked two simple questions: 1) Would I be out of this job in less than a month? Answer: "Most certainly." And 2) Will it be a job I actually want? Answer: "The stars say yes." 
And in less than three weeks the 8 Ball I got word of the Washingtonian job, applied, interviewed and got it. So a toast to you, Magic 8 Ball. You only worked once before breaking, but it only took once for you to fulfill your purpose. 

No comments: