Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Word Welder Extraordinaire

Well that didn't take long. Shortly before I conquered Temple Run, I decided to go ahead and find another game to play, and somewhere along the way either the wife or I downloaded W.E.L.D.E.R. to the iPhone.

This app is one of those word search / creator games where you put letters together and form words. Deep stuff, believe me. It blends aspects of Scrabble, Tetris and others. The game throws some fun little tricks to make things difficult, like letter tiles that remain frozen or ones that score no points or others that can score triple the points. It varies things up enough to keep things interesting and if you are connected to WiFi it has a fancy dictionary that turns on if you happen to create a word by accident that you didn't know existed.

I thought this game started off well, but it soon got way too easy. For one thing, there are a ton of words that the game gets away with that are not even in the English language. I'm not kidding. When tiles fell and created a couple Latin and Japanese words and let those slide, I was stunned. Of course, I knew the game was flawed once I discovered its religious bent. What do you say, Campbell, that the game favors the lord?

Oh yes, yes it does. It will accept words that are not even in Miriam Webster's Dictionary, but try getting the word "satan" through and surprisingly it doesn't allow it. It also won't accept curse words, which is obviously bullshit. It also wouldn't originally allow words like vagina but an update let them through the master filter later on. It's just one of those things that you begin to notice and then try and purposefully see what is and isn't allowed. At that point I was getting bored with the game and just wanted to finish it as quickly as possible.

It took a few weeks, but eventually I was successful. I got through all 15 levels, scored my 82,000 points and the game gave me the credits and congratulations screen. I was done, having mastered another game and left once more searching for something to have me pass the time on the train.

1 comment:

chelsea said...

Well you are a journalism person- I would hope you know words (religious or not). Find a math or science game and see how well you do then!