Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Getting Back in the Groove, v3

A few weeks ago I once again dusted off the running shoes and participated in the TKPK5K, my one solitary effort to run for more than 10 feet and simultaneously benefit my community. OK, so maybe that is a tad of a stretch. As opposed to last year's disastrous idea of not training an ounce and just walking up the starting line and running 3 miles, I decided this year to at least fake like I was taking it seriously.

This involved running on a treadmill a few times in the two weeks leading up to the event. This was mainly because I was convinced that I would snap my ankle or get beat by a 7-year-old. Well, the second part still happened (those little kids have boundless energy, I stood no chance). Anyway, I did break one of the race rules by listening to an app on my iPhone while running the race. It's called "Zombies, Run!" and it rocks. It's a story that is told while you are running and integrates your GPS into the story, collecting supplies and outrunning the living dead. Good stuff, I highly recommend it for anyone who likes to hit the trails or pavement for a little exercise.

The best part was that I actually beat my time from last year (just barely broke 30 minutes!), even if my place in the standings didn't improve and they spelled my name wrong. I guess the running talent at the TKPK5K is getting stronger. Well, I'm not. I'm just gonna keep hitting my own pace and the rest of these fools running their 5-minute miles can enjoy the extra glass of juice at the finish line.

No comments: