Friday, January 16, 2009

What I've Watched: Wall-E

To call Wall-E a love story would be too trite. To say it's an environmental wake-up call to a generation of young viewers and their parents would place undue burdens on it. But to ignore that both of these themes resonate and are so strong and breath-takingly done would be to ignore what makes Wall-E a profound movie, something that you would expect from a Soderbergh or Spielberg or Scorcese, not an animated film.

I missed this movie in the theaters, and I am now ashamed of myself, because I can imagine how amazing this Pixar movie would have been stunning on the big screen. Watching it on Blu-Ray was kick ass, so I'm getting over that. For now I just want to strongly impress upon everyone to see this movie, even watch it a second time because it's basic messages of urgency in the environment, over-consumption of commercial goods and friendship/love are clear and enduring.

What is best about Wall-E, and other Pixar films like The Incredibles and Finding Nemo, is that they are not (in my opinion) kid's films. They are actually movies for adults that happen to be colorful, funny and timed so that children can enjoy them as well, and learn something from them at an early age. The send-ups to 2001 and Alien are of course out there for us to enjoy, but there are statements made throughout that just make this such a fun film to watch, and makes it a favorite for me to compete for Best Picture with Slumdog Millionaire.

Things I loved: 'you may have lost some bone mass' ... the cockroach ... learning to walk ... the cleaning robot ... the wall of captains ... VCR ... 'tell me about the sea' ... a fire extinguisher ... the fully charged tone ... remembering to hold hands ...

You have to be some kind of heartless beast to not get choked up at least once while watching Wall-E, and it's not cheeky sentimental moments. Wall-E hits the right notes at the right times and it's straightforward message is beautifully directed and scripted. Don't miss this movie. You'll be the poorer for it.

No comments: