Sunday, August 1, 2010

My Reading Challenge

I'm probably doing something really stupid, but I gotta give it a try. With the new iPhone, one of the apps that it offers for free is the iBooks app, which is mainly for reading books on an iPad. When the wife got an iPad, to test the iBooks app she bought the latest book from one of our favorite authors, Richard North Patterson.

So instead of waiting for her to be done with it on the iPad or spend the money to buy it in paperback, I'm going to test myself by reading the entire book on my iPhone. It may go well, it may be a nightmare. That tiny screen for reading a full-length book? It's one thing to read a 500-page book when you hold that thing in your hands. Holding this in your hands once it's optimized for the iPhone, the thing is 1,081 pages (screens?) long. Holy crap.

So we'll see how this goes.

UPDATE: 20 pages in, and I've already had to up the font size so that I can read it better and not feel like I'm getting stabbed in the eyes. But upping the font size make the page count now 1,266. Damnit. This might be in the top 10 of dumbest things I've attempted. And this might be the project that makes me get glasses. Crap.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

My friend read books on her iphone the entire SA trip. Seemed like she was spending more time turning the pages then actually reading!

chelsea said...

You will have to need glasses eventually seeing that our parents couldn't make it without them!