Thursday, April 28, 2011

Man Card Member, No. 404431

I can never say no to a grilling challenge. I will freak out during all the prep and cooking, but when it comes out good I will sigh a huge sigh of relief and then typically relish in my victory over the food. And then I also devour it like the Fantastic Mr. Fox family.

I've always been intrigued by the idea of the Beer Can Chicken, but some people either told me it was way too rednecky to bother with, or it didn't turn out all that great anyway, so what was the point? I have not grilled chicken all that often, so this was something I figured I should try.

Remarkably, it's easy as hell. You literally rub the chicken down with some kind of dry rub (we used some tasty, spicy rub I have from The Salt Lick outside Austin) and the shove a beer can up it's arse. (Weird side note: The recipe calls for the beer can to be only half full, and it said to just pour out half the beer. Pour it out? Are you high? That's damn fine Guinness there, sir. I proudly drank it, like a real man should.) Heat up the grill, throw some smoke chips in for color and flavor, and that's it. Grill for about 90 minutes and holy damn if that chicken doesn't have fantastic flavor and meat that actually falls off the bone like other BS artists advertise. So yeah, man card awarded for conquering fire, meat and doing something goofy like shoving a beer can up a dead animal's ass and cooking it. Only a man would think of something so stupid but successful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have always wondered how this tasted. Glad it turned out amazing!