Thursday, April 21, 2011

What I've Read: Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs

Now this is some writing I can get behind. I found Chuck Klosterman through listening to the BS Report. Simmons had him on several years ago to talk about sports and pop culture and I latched onto him quickly as someone I'd love to have a conversation with about just about everything but someone I also knew I could never have a dialogue with because I'm a total moron by comparison.

This was his third book in a series of five that he has written, all a collection of essays about life, politics, music, pop culture and the like. I was particularly fond of the essays on Saved by the Bell, another on the Real World, his explanation of the Empire Strikes Back and then his breakdown of Tom Cruise. It's all good stuff.

What I really like about his writing and style is that I don't always agree with everything, but he frames his arguments and questions in such compelling ways that even the most minute of topics has some sort of relevance. I think it also helps that he was born in 1972, which makes him only a few years older than me, so these topics he discusses shaped me the same way they shaped him. Makes it more personal for me instead of trying to relate to essays from journalists or pop culture writers who are a generation or more removed from me.

For anyone born in the '70s, this is someone you should definitely give a chance to. The moment I finished the fourth chapter, I instantly went online and bought the other four books he's written. They should arrive next week and I can't wait to dig in.

2 comments:

chelsea said...

Jason has a read a few of his books. I don't remember if it was in this one- but he really likes the chapter about soccer because he hates soccer

Campbell said...

Jason's not doing himself any favors with me by hating on soccer and UK. He's getting on my bad side right quick.