Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Night with Toad

Tonight I'm getting in the Delorean and going back in time to hear one of my favorite bands of my youth.

Back in grade school I really got into Toad the Wet Sprocket. Like most people, I first heard them through their song All I Want, which was OK, but once I got the album it was filled with several other much better tracks. Hell, I liked them so much that I can admit to using one of their song lyrics in our 8th grade graduation book. We were supposed to only submit one lyric that we liked, but I wanted two, and since I was creating the graduation book as part of a class, I cheated. So alongside an Aerosmith lyric (of course), I used a Toad lyric, "Whatever happens will be." Wow, wasn't I deep at the tender age of 13? At least it was better than a couple other people's bullshit usage of Poison or Boyz II Men. Idiots.

Since then I bought every album and was bummed when they broke up. Never got to see them live, and I figured that was the end of it. They got back together, briefly, early in the aughts but I didn't hear about it until after it happened, which was a damn shame. Luckily they decided to get back together (again ... they like to break up and get back together A LOT ... kinda like UofL fans), and once I heard about the show I was first in line (well, online) to buy tickets.

I've got a setlist in my head of what I hope they play, but I'll just be happy to see them, and maybe hope they stay together long enough to make a new album.

No comments: