Thursday, April 14, 2011

What I've Read: New Rules: Polite Musings from a Timid Observer

I enjoy Bill Maher's weekly show, and while I don't always catch every episode, I follow along with the show and catch clips here and there and watch the interviews if there are particularly interesting people I want to hear from or political events that I want to hear his thoughts on.

I got a recommendation to read his New Rules book, and I gotta say, boy did it suck. I'm not saying it was a total waste of time, but I think I had different expectations of what the book was going to be. I get that it was a brief musings and some one-off statements (many taken from his previous episodes as a kind of compilation). Maybe I was in a weird head space that week, but the book just did absolutely nothing for me. I think I need to pick up an old Carlin or Franken book to get some better chuckles and more interesting insights. Granted, I'll also admit to not knowing the book was nearly five years old, but once I discovered that and tried to enjoy his insights and thoughts from a current-day lens, it still wasn't all that great. Bleh, onto something else.

1 comment:

Join share said...

Thank you for another essential article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a complete way of writing? I have a presentation incoming week, and I am on the lookout for such information.