Thursday, October 25, 2012

My Childhood Bastardized

And the hits keep on coming from Hollywood. They are continuing to dip into the well of my childhood (or near-childhood, at least) and take things that I remember and sometimes deeply appreciate and mock sad mockeries or interpretations out of them.

First up is Carrie. This movie doesn't come out until 2013, but let's be clear … it's already been out before. Sissy Spacek rocked the pig's blood dye job, and Travolta even has some appearances. Of course, it's much more remarkable for Piper Laurie's performance as Carrie's cracked-out mother, who makes freakouts over wire hangers look like an innocent bake sale. I like Chloe Moretz and I kinda hope this movie does OK, but I have so little faith in remakes these days that I have little hope for this one.



Next is Evil Dead. This may be the greatest movie of the year or the decade, but to me it's an abomination. Honestly, go the "kids trapped in a cabin that turns into a hellhole" storyline and just call it something else. And I don't give two shits that Sam Raimi is behind this retelling of his classic. There is just no reason to invoke the name and all that is holy with Ash and that character and that run of cult classics. Yes, I may be a little too passionate about Evil Dead, Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness, but that still doesn't stop this "remake" from appearing like a gory cashgrab.

No comments: