Saturday, October 10, 2009

When PR Companies Go Crazy

Video games companies send me all sorts of stuff to help promote their products, and I enjoy it. Sometimes it's cool stuff like a well-designed T-shirt or some funky toy that I'll keep on my desk. Most of the time, it's stuff that I think is neat but I have no use for, like a Mario Bros. backpack clearly designed for a kid. This is where my coworkers benefit greatly from me being the nice guy that I am. Because I always take the schwag and dole it out to the parents in the office whose kids would probably love some free toys and crap that a guy in his 30s has no need of.

This week I got a huge wooden crate (at right) delivered to my office. I was a tad perplexed, but not shocked. Some of my favorite gifts ever from PR companies have come in bizarre containers. I have a viking hat, I once got a metal-forged spartan battle helmet, a wooden sword, all sorts of fun stuff.

I was unsure what the box contained until Kristin helped me bust the thing open. The box clearly says it contains small items, but who knows what kind of tricks they were playing. At first I reached in and pulled out a small stuffed animal.

And then another.

And another.

And ... well, you get the picture. It was a lot.

In the end, half the box was empty, and the other half had a video game and 11, yes ELEVEN, stuffed animals that were all in various shapes but were round and silly looking. The game is called Squeeballs Party, and I have no idea how good it will be, but the name is goofy enough and the stuffed animals are all comical looking. Now, other than being one of those stupid women who stuff their car with beanie babies, I really had no use for 11 oddly designed stuffed animals. Kristin and I did enjoy chucking them at Laura, but we needed a better plan. And then it hit me ... we'll just coyly "decorate" our friend Leigh's office with them. So we hid them in desk drawers, under hats, behind office plants, anywhere we could put them to surprise her when she got back from a trip. And it worked. She naturally knew I was behind the squeeballs attack since no one else gets bizarre stuff like this in the office, but it worked and gave her a good giggle, which made it worth it for sure. And at least she didn't react like this guy below did, who may need to switch to decaf.

1 comment:

ThePaul said...

hehe, "Look at me being serious..."