Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Equanimity, Part 2

So the beginning of my equanimities began on Wednesday last week. At CFED, we take our board of directors meetings very seriously. I guess all nonprofits do, maybe, but since this is the only one I have ever worked for, it was wild when I first noticed how crazy everyone got with these meetings. Some people just want us to look as professional and legit as possible, others go into massive ass-kissing mode and suck up to everyone in the room.

I got to hang out during a couple sessions of the board meeting (normally not open to general staff like myself), and I very much enjoyed it. It's amazing to sit and listen to a bunch of super-smart people (some who are pictured at right and a few that are even close to my age, which makes me feel like a total moron) discuss the strategies and potential for my organization. Luckily none of it involved getting rid of their lone graphic designer. But getting to be in that room definitely made me feel just that much more connected to the future of our work and with the people and organizations we help.

My whole reason for getting to be in the room was because I was the photo bitch for the day. Turns out people like my little hobby and think I'm decent at it enough to warrant getting to take photos of nearly everything we do, which does allow me the chance to leave the office now and then (not normal for a designer). After the board meeting was over, the fun didn't end because I was tasked to take photos during the VIP dinner we hosted in the office. It was a late night of schmoozing, eating and a few drinks, though not as many as I would have liked. We got a cool preview of the next day's festivities, which I will inform you about in the next post. But I didn't get home until uber-late having to clean up and get the office back to normal, and then it was up early for a really long day ...

No comments: