Monday, November 23, 2009

Giving Back. Kinda.

This is a response to my boy Kelly, who had a similar post on his blog. I can't let him go off about being all good to society without sneaking in a pat on the back for myself.

So over the weekend I played in a golf scramble with Dboy, Dr. Dan and Dave (who doesn't have a nickname yet because he's just a dork and doesn't deserve one yet). It was your typical Turkey Shoot, which just about every damn golf course in America does around Thanksgiving. We played like crap early and rebounded stronger on the back nine, but a couple of the other teams had clear ringers so it's not like we ever had a chance of winning. I mean, seriously, Dave noticed a guy on one team who is the head pro at a local course. I'm not going to judge (OK, let's judge) but who the hell bothers to bring in pros to a local golf scramble where the biggest prize is a $50 gift certificate to Modell's Sporting Goods?

Anyway, as part of the proceedings I ended up getting two free turkeys. Since we had already bought ours at the farmers market for our Turkey Day festivities, I suddenly had two 14-pound birds in need of a home. After some brief research (and the realization that these damn birds wouldn't fit in the freezer), we found a good home for them ... the DC Central Kitchen. They are a fantastic organization that not just combats hunger by feeding people, but instead tries to instill positive change and also teach job skills to its clients to help break the poverty cycle. So they got nearly 30 pounds of free turkey from me on Sunday, which was cool. I'm happy to have helped out and played a little part in the 'giving thanks' part of the holiday season.

No comments: