Thursday, November 26, 2009

My Childhood, Bastardized


One of my favorite movies of all time is Clash of the Titans. I don't think I ever missed it when it was on TV. It's a true classic, and underrated in terms of all-time fun movies to watch. Seriously, people, Harry Hamlin was bare chested throughout the whole damn thing, and he has a confused look on his face to match that tuft on his chest. Hilarious stuff. Then you throw in Burgess Meredith as a sidekick, Ursula Andress as Aprhodite and Laurence Olivier as Zeus, and you have got yourself some crazy cameos in a movie normally given short shrift.

The biggest addition to my life given to me by this movie was of course ... The Kraken. I have always loved the great line from the movie, "How can a mortal man face, and defeat, the Kraken." I've used that line a ton of times throughout my life, and Luke, Eric and others have all shared in the joy of the Kraken as well. We've even gone so far as to never order calamari from a restaurant but, in fact, order Kraken off the menu. Good times.

Well, because Hollywood would sooner burn itself to the ground before coming up with an original idea, they have remade one of my favorite movies. No doubt I will give it its due and see how it turns out, but it looks like a '300' wannabe. But it's got a helluva cast behind it, so they must be taking it seriously. Below are the two trailers. I still think the original is just pure comedy gold.

The original:

The remake:

No comments: