Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My Childhood, Bastardized (OK, not really)

I've not shied away from complaining to anyone who will listen that Hollywood just never ceases to try and re-imagine, reboot and retool every damn thing they can if it means they don't have to use a creative bone in their collective body.

For those of you who don't know, they're at it again ... this time rebooting the tale of Robin Hood. Now, I say they aren't really bastardizing my childhood because while I enjoyed the cartoon version immensely as a kid (name me a 6-year-old boy that didn't want to be cool hero who used shot arrows and won the girl!), it's not like it's canon by any stretch. Nor is the Errol Flynn version or the 35 other takes I think exist. Oh, and I loved the Mel Brooks parody. Good stuff. And while I did enjoy parts of the Kevin Costner film (except the poor editing and the moment about 13 minutes into the movie when he suddenly ditches the piece of shit English accent altogether and is suddenly Field of Dreams guy in an English woodsman outfit), it left a lot to be desired.

So now we are getting yet another version of Robin Hood. And damn if this one don't look a wee more violent than the previous ones. Russell Crowe is now the title character, and we've even got one of my favorites Cate Blanchett playing Maid Marian. But judging by the first trailer that has been released, it's a bit darker than the light-hearted fare that always has a touch of humor and such that we've come to expect.



Nothing against it, and it could be good. But let's remember how much fun this franchise used to be.

No comments: