Saturday, December 4, 2010

Golf on the Island

Normally when the wife and I go to Hawaii, I try to squeeze in at least two rounds of golf. But since I was dragging the wife to three UK basketball games while on a Hawaiian vacation, I figured more than one round of gold would be pushing my luck. I know, I'm such a sweet guy, always thoughtful.

So I played my one round, at the best course I've ever played, Kapalua's Plantation Course. They play PGA events there every year, and so the course is always in pristine condition (though what in Maui isn't pristine?). This was my fifth time playing Plantation, and I always find that it brings out a good round from me.

I had a lackluster 2010 in the golf realm, primarily because I didn't play much at all; I think I squeezed in 7-8 rounds all year, so needless to say I was bummed about my 2010 and was expecting very little from my game and was just hoping to avoid complete embarrassment or losing a whole box of golf balls on the front 9.

No worries, though, because as I said, Plantation brings out some good golf in me. I hit some good shots, some bad, had a horrible putting day, but thankfully my long game and approaches saved me. I escaped with an 88, which felt really good. It included a personal highlight caught on video, a 386-yard drive on the 18th hole. Yes, it's downhill and the northern winds are at your back, but I don't care. It feels great to tee it up high and smash a long drive. I love the video of it, where if you listen closely you can hear one of the guys I'm playing with say I smoked it. Love it.

No comments: