Sunday, December 19, 2010

What I've Read: Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk

My trip to Hawaii provided me the chance to read a bunch of books in between UK basketball, golf, snorkeling and lots and lots of food. I've always been a David Sedaris fan, so when I heard he was coming out with a rather bizarre book of fables involving animals, I said what the hell and gave it a shot.

Gotta say, I was happy with the purchase. The short stories really are examinations of humans, but with animals substituting for us homo sapiens, it allows us to take a look at our own weird (over)reactions to certain situations and things that we may overlook in our daily lives. Issues of faith, economics, life and death all make appearances in these short tales, told through the words and actions of field mice, crows, chickens, rabbits and many more. The stories all come with cool little illustrations that help bring some whimsy to the readings.

I enjoyed the book, though I can say that you could probably save the money on the hardback edition and just get it on an iPad or Kindle or whatever. It's so short that paying the full price does seem kinda silly, since you can easily read the whole book in less than a day if you commit to it.

No comments: