Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Santa Fight Club

I know I'm rather "bah humbug" about the holidays. Look, I just don't get that worked up about them. Sorry, it's just the way it is. But a week ago when I was driving with the wife to run a few errands, NPR replayed a story they ran back in 2008 that just floored me. It's an appropriate holiday story because it deals with real santas. Well, real in the sense that these are guys who really want to be santa.

You see, there is a large number of grown men who have grown out long white beards specifically for the purpose of being santa during the holidays. So many, in fact, that they formed organizations about it. This story is about how the main organization (The Amalgamated Order of Real Bearded Santas – AORBS) was overtaken by a santa many didn't like, and a splinter organization was formed.

Trust me, this story has all the trappings of fine Christmas entertainment. The broadcast lasts about 27 minutes but I promise you will come away laughing and feeling good you sat back and listened to the goings on of a small sect of people whose only job is to bring holiday cheer to kids and families. It was so good the wife and I ended up sitting in the car just make sure we listened to the last 10 minutes because we didn't want to miss how it ended.

So go to this link, and skip through the first parts if you need to and the Santa story should kick in around minute 21. The get yourself a glass of eggnog, bourbon or whatever you want to drink and enjoy!

No comments: