Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What the Hell, Let's Give It a Shot

When I started this blog last year, it was both a sounding board for me to rant and rave about things, but also a way to share my photo hobby with a larger audience. Ever since then, I have had more and more friends, family and coworkers griping at me about why I don't ever try and show my photos more officially.

In 9 days, they get their wish. I am showing a selection of my photos at Artomatic, a free, monthlong arts event here in DC. Artomatic is in its 10th year, and it's one of the coolest things around. They take an office building that has yet to be leased, throw up hundreds of plywood walls, and let artists do whatever they want with them. This year there are more than 800 2D artists and around 300 visual artists. It's a massive event and I am really stoked about being a part of it.

There is no competition involved, just thousands of people checking out everyone's work and enjoying a great atmosphere. I've spent the last few days getting my pieces together, and today I go over to prep and paint my wall. This weekend I will install the lights and then hopefully by Monday I will hang all the photos.

I will probably nag everyone again sometime in the coming weeks, but I am really hoping that everyone will get a chance to come by and check it out. I know many of you have already seen the work I will be showing but I hope in this setting you might see everything from a different perspective and also get a chance to check out the myriad of other artists showing their stuff.

I have little expectations to sell any, but hopefully someone I don't already know will be flabbergasted by the beauty of my work and feel compelled to spend hundreds of dollars on me. One can hope. I already Dan and Ashley aren't buying anything, since Dan told me their house is going to be filled more with "real" art like paintings. Thanks, pal. Even a joking 20% discount didn't sway him into considering my photos. What should I have expected, though? He's a Dolphins fan and he's going bald. So, there!

Artomatic starts May 29 and lasts until July 5. There are talks of planning a "Meet Chris, The Idiot Photographer Who Thought This Was a Good Idea" night, so that we can all toast to my first ever showing. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, I will go back to stressing about this for the next 9 days.

2 comments:

chelsea said...

That is awesome, Chris! I am soo proud of you! p.s. journalism major should know about the word myriad, right (there is no ¨"of" after it).

KM said...

fancy college kids correcting grammar. don't take that crap, yo.