Friday, February 13, 2009

24 Hours Later ... Peace


Thursday/Friday was a long day. You may not care, because the end result was me waking up this morning to the sound of waves crashing into the beaches here in Kaanapali, Maui, but suck it, it's my blog and I write what I want.

It all started by waking up at 5 in the morning in DC to finish packing and catch the ride to Dulles. We flew from Dulles to L.A., which was a fine flight except the jagoffs at United Airlines thought it a great idea to not serve any food on the flight that you didn't have to pay for ($9 for a turkey wrap the size of a White Castle burger), so I skipped food on the plane because I wasn't throwing away money on crap. Then, they showed a horrible movie on the plane (Greg Kinnear was the star, so I think that speaks for itself). So I read and read and read. 6 hours later we were in L.A.

The wife and I devoured some food once we arrived at LAX and then made our way to our connection. Luckily, United further proved its jagoffness by overbooking the LA-Maui flight by 13 seats. So we made the strategic move of bumping ourselves to the next flight. In exchange for a 2.5-hour delay and guaranteed seats, we both got free round-trip tickets as a bonus, and upgraded seats on the next flight. All-in-all, a winning proposal for me.

The LA-Maui flight was equally crap. Again, no food that didn't cost an arm and a leg (and the EXACT same options from our morning flight ... what the hell?). Again, no decent movie (that 'family' flick starring Dakota Fanning and some honeybee raisers). So I skipped that also and just read and read and read. Almost finished my book (review coming later), but my eyes were burning so I napped a little. We, 5 hours and 30 minutes later, finally landed, found our luggage and made our way to the hotel.

Again, we had eaten nothing, so we raced to beat the clock with room service, which closed in 45 minutes. By the time we ate and shut off the lights to pass out from exhaustion, it was 11:21 p.m., 5:20 a.m. back in DC. We had been up 24 hours straight. But then again, when we woke up, you see the scene above that we awoke to. So I guess not all is that bad.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

You really are just incapable of not complaining on this thing!!

Campbell said...

I know! I'm terrible.

Paul said...

Where are you staying?

Campbell said...

Staying on Kaanapali Beach at the Sheraton.