Thursday, February 5, 2009

My Flirtation With Fascism

As a graphic designer, I have to usually submit several options in my design for the big whigs to choose from. I'll throw in my bets bets, but also some ones I really hate, because often putting in lackluster work helps push people in the direction you want. Sorry if I'm giving away some super secret, but that's the way it goes. Anyway, my organization is holding an Innovation Summit in October, and late that night we are holding a 30th Anniversary Gala because CFED was founded in 1979.

I submitted my logo ideas, keeping in mind that it needed (for thematic reasons) to stay close to this logo that I had done last year (Exhibit A).

After about 10 iterations, what ended up coming to pass was something that our president really loved, and was also thoroughly accepted by the core planning team for the events. You can see that one at right, it's Exhibit B.

I thought all was well, until someone "anonymously" told one of the higher-ups that they thought my logo design closely resembled this:

Wait for it ...
















So there you have it. But OF COURSE I don't have Nazi tendencies that I was not even aware of. I mean, in my view, the two don't come as close as this "nameless" person claims. Beyond the fact that the colors are different (much too obvious), the tendrils don't even flow the same direction nor does mine represent global anti-semitism and outright evil. Am I channeling floating bubbles of fascism? Promoting the final solution through building children's savings accounts and asset building? OF COURSE NOT.

I eventually got everyone to calm down and settle on a tweaked version of the logo (Exhibit C). Of course, two days of coworkers asking me about my "swastika logo" in the kitchen, hallways and lobby makes me feel like I am headed for a black hood and cellmate at Gitmo. If you don't hear from me in awhile, make sure I'm not being renditioned to Syria.

1 comment:

KM said...

that's hilarious. never would have seen a swastika in there. i like the new logo, tho.