Sunday, March 15, 2009

A New Kind of Experience

Today is Selection Sunday. For someone from Kentucky, this gets marked on the calendar along with birthdays, Derby Day and when the beginning of college basketball begins.

But for the first time in my memory that I can aptly recall, Selection Sunday will not be viewed by me. This is because my most beloved sporting treasure, UK basketball, had a crap season because it has an even crappier coach. I loathe and despise the man unlike anything I know. I hated it when the (racist) jackoffs in Kentucky thought it would be better to get rid of a successful black coach (Tubby Smith) and bring in a southern style, single, drink-lovin Billy Gillespie. I think I am now going to call him Coach that Shall Not Be Named because I hate even saying his name now.

The last time we didn't make the tournament was when the NCAA BANNED us from going (thanks to Eddie Sutton for that one). That was in 1991. I was 14 and I don't hardly remember what happened in the years before it.

Today the third-longest streak in consecutive made NCAA tournaments comes to a close. I'm depressed, and I'm not watching Selection Sunday. It's going to be weird. It's going to be depressing.

No comments: