Thursday, March 26, 2009

Welcome to Uncertainty

I need Norman Dale. UK is looking for a new coach. It's better to just do it now and get it over with. Pat Forde, a former Louisville journalist that I loathe at almost all times, wrote a well-rationed piece that pretty much sums it up. Mark Story has a subtle reply column. Both are right, and this scenario is just confusing from all angles. Just like Billy G was. I'm not sure who UK will get, but holy shit I hope they take it more seriously than they seemed to have last time around.

In all, I blame myself just as much as UK and everyone else. I miss Tubby Smith, but I did openly bitch about him when things weren't going well. But still, he was a top-shelf, class a guy and never got a fair shake from the residents who refused to accept a black man at the helm. Yes, racism still rings loud and true in the bluegrass state. I'm thrilled that he is kicking ass and happy in Minnesota. He deserves that much after all the hell he took in Lexington. But I miss him and wish he'd never been fired.

But to the main point, UK now needs a coach. I thought we could get someone strong two years ago, and from the moment he was hired I hated Gillespie. On the Bring Something to the Table Scale, he was eating crumbs with the mice. And no matter what, you just can't treat the UK job like a hobby or a totalitarian state where nothing you do can be perceived as wrong. It doesn't work like that.

UK fans may be crazy, but we're crazy because we're wickedly loyal. We treat that team like the English treat their soccer clubs. Loyal to the death, for better or worse. NITs won't get it done. 8-8 league records won't do either. No matter how much we tried to forgive the VMI and Gardner-Webb losses, there are some things we just cannot handle happening in Rupp Arena. I'm not sure who they will get, or how soon. And in a way, I don't mind waiting if it means getting the right guy ... whoever that is. I'm a little lost. Hunting for a new head coach is never fun. It means trouble. And we've had too much of it lately in the place that used to give me so much happiness.

No comments: