Friday, April 3, 2009

My Paper Challenge: March Results

Months ago I gave myself a challenge: Collect all the recyclable paper I received and weigh it to determine how much of an impact my paper consumption was affecting the environment. That makes it sound like a daunting task, but it's not considering I can't really scientifically say how my paper consumption screw over Mother Earth. But I was determined to find out anyhow, and see what I could do to trim it back as a matter of making a difference.

I first did this test in December, and the results were mixed. I had churned through nearly 8.5 pounds of paper. I was hoping that this was high, since December is a huge month for video game deliveries, press releases and advertisements for the holidays. I decided that since it was a (theoretically) heavy month, I needed to see what some other typical months were like to get some better statistics.

So I started back up again in March. I collected as much as I could remember to, and I think I did a good job, but I will post later about a rather disappointing realization that hindered or skewed my efforts. Anyhow, without further ado, my March weight in recyclable paper ... 4.76 pounds.

OK, three months later I nearly halved my paper intake. Not bad at all, if I do say so myself. I've definitely been more vigilant about harping on game companies to not bother with the press releases in the packages they send (I get 4 other versions of them through e-mail, so I get the info already). Now it's just a matter of continuing this study and seeing how wildly up or down December and March were. I've already started for April, so you'll hear back about this soon enough.

No comments: