Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Celebrity Sighting

So Dan and I played golf yesterday, and as I'm warming up on the practice green (which did me zilch in terms of prepping me for putting, at which I sucked royally for some reason), Dan came striding over with excitement. He overheard a guy checking in for his round, and said his name was Randolph Childress.

"THE Randolph Childress?" Dan asked? Indeed it was.

You see, Dan is a big Wake Forest fan. In fact, it was weird being at UK with him during the late-'90s when Dan would be cheering for Wake even though the Cats were routinely kicking their ass despite having Childress and a guy you may have heard of (Tim Duncan) on their team. I just laughed listening to Dan espouse the beauty of Childress and Duncan's games as Pitino picked them apart in 1996. Dan always thought Wake was awesome, and yet UK was the team that whipped ass. Just sayin'.

Childress ended up in the group behind us, so anytime someone in that group made a good shot, Dan would invariably turn his head and say, "Childress lighting it up" even if there was only a 25% chance of that being actually true. He was in heaven. But it at least allowed Dan to recount his favorite Childress moments, including his dismantling of North Carolina in the 1995 ACC Tournament, which included eight three-pointers and one of the most awesome "Eff You" moments in college basketball, the "I just broke your ankles and will actually take time to wave to you to get back up before draining a three-pointer in your teammate's face." Damn.



No comments: