Sunday, February 20, 2011

My Dog Klondike

Last summer when at the dog store buying food, a photographer was doing free portraits of dogs to try and drum up business for herself as a budding photog (sadly she did a great job but I can't find her info). Being the natural opportunistic taker of free services, the wife jumped right on board and got both our dogs some time in front of the camera.

First up is Klondike, and this slideshow is a feat of strength, believe me. I wasn't there at the photo shoot, but I know Klondike. Ever since the wife got him when he was a puppy 13 years ago, he has hated the camera. Doesn't matter whether it's a Polaroid, high-end digital or just some dinky cell phone camera, that dog has always known when he's getting his picture taken and he runs like the wind the other direction. It's actually quite hilarious as it's always been a battle of wills to see if we can trick him before he catches on.

While she doesn't show up in these photos, apparently in several the wife is either holding him steady (hence the closeups) or is within inches of him distracting him (hence Klondike never actually looking in the camera). It's good stuff, and I just couldn't resist showing off my cool dog. He's getting late in his years, but he's still the same dog (that first photo is how he gets me every time when he wants a treat or some extra attention), and it's awesome.

1 comment:

KM said...

Riiight...you all just happened to stumble upon a dog photographer with a studio set up and all ready to go?

I'm calling BS on that little story.

I'm betting there were family meetings, interviews with dog photographers, talks about how to best capture the Essence of Poodle, etc...