Friday, February 11, 2011

Two Friends, Two Blogs

So this is a promotional post for two of my friends who have bravely joined the blogging world. I'm sure it was my rousing success in securing all 8 readers that made them think this was a wise decision for them both. Sadly it's taken both of them all of about 11 minutes to gain about 90 more readers and 800 more Twitter followers. But what can I say, they are cooler and prettier than me, and that gets you fame faster than being a dude with dainty hands.

Here's a quick breakdown of my two friends and their two blogs.


First up is Laura, who has unleashed a blog geared toward those of us who were raised in the '80s and had our formative years in the '90s. She explores everything from cereal commercials to buddy bands to music videos to products that made us cringe then and make us cringe even more now.

Laura and I didn't work together long, but we were instant buds when we discovered our mutual love for QVC and HSN. We talked about all manner of gawd-awful product salesmanship. Most notably Signature Club A, which one day I will post on and we can all revel in the glory of painted-on makeup.

She's tapping into a nice little niche market there, getting humor out of our childhoods and the raw hilarity that was the '80s and '90s, and the comical stupidity of people trying to bring the '80s back like it's something we need to relive. That is probably why she's slaying me in followers and friends. Guess maybe if I stick with guy-centered penis and fart jokes I'd be more popular to read. Oh well, check her out when you can, you'll be glad you did.



Next up is Kristin, whose blog is about as far removed from Laura's as humanly possible. Over at Life Communicated, Kristin has chosen to espouse upon the greatness that is our digital technologies.

She's told me unapologetically that probably two-thirds of her posts are all going to be about Evernote, an organization app/website that if you haven't used it you should if you have the short-term memory of a field mouse. I'm not making any judgments on Kristin, mind you, I just love it that she adores Evernote to the point that she's hoping that eventually Evernote will just subsidize her for the next 10 years or so. It's a solid plan. And judging by her followers and such, she'll probably get it, too.

When her posts aren't about Evernote, though, they will be a series of helpful information about how to navigate the tech world and get your life, both professionally and personally, in order. Twitter, Facebook, whatever is most likely attached to your iPhone, iPad, Android, there's a good chance she'll talk about it.

Of course I don't have that problem, since I have a fully functioning website featuring my design work, my photography, my video game column and a blog to boot. Damnit, I don't really have much of any of that, just a blog that only 8 of you read. Crap, maybe I should start reading her stuff and get my act together. And then, I can slack off with the Zack Attack.

5 comments:

chelsea said...

What if I don't have an ipod, ipad, or android?

Campbell said...

Well then you're screwed, and you're a fool for not joining the rest of us in the 21st century.

Kristin said...

You don't have to have an iPad,iPod or Android to get something out of my blog! But if you don't have a Facebook account then you really might be screwed!

Campbell said...

Yeah she doesn't have one of those, either. She's a wee bit behind the times. About 7 years behind the times.

chelsea said...

Oh Blah!