Thursday, June 23, 2011

Idiot of the Day

I've walked by five places of business in the last 24 hours that are all doing that same idiotic thing. They are blasting the air conditioning and propping the double doors to their establishment wide open when it's 87 degrees outside with 60% humidity. This is the kind of idiot behavior my mother scolded me about when I was 5 years old. "We're not trying to air condition the planet, honey," she would say. Of course, I don't think the 'honey' was included; it's is probably me trying to compensate for her more likely saying, 'idiot child of mine' or something to that effect.

What bothers me about this is that was more than 25 years ago. And in a world where we can all safely assume every establishment in the greater DC area has air conditioning (because this isn't 1961), I'm not entirely sure what enticement or big statement they are trying to make to potential customers. You'd have to walk within two feet of the open doors in order to ever-so briefly feel cold air coming out, at which point, is the expectation that someone will say, "holy shit, they have cold air, let's buy some ink cartridges!" Beyond that, all I could think of their meaning is "fuck the planet" but equally, "please buy a ream of paper, it's 100% post-recycled content." Oh, it also loudly screams, "We're idiots."

1 comment:

GreenMom said...

Oh honey... I would never call you an idiot :)