Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Holiday Road: Kentucky Show

So it was our last day in Louisville before the big drive back to DC, and after a surprisingly delicious brunch, my mom thought of a quick activity, which was to go to the Center for the Arts downtown and check out this new display. It's a 30-minute video celebrating Kentucky's history.

At first I was a tad skeptical. I was worried it would be a half-assed film put together by a bunch of high schoolers and have the production value of the Blair Witch Project. Yet imagine my surprise when it was actually a really damn good 30-minute movie.

The project, called Kentucky Show!, is all about giving Kentucky residents a look at the history of the state and also celebrate everything the state has done. Sure, sounds kinda silly, and my friends from Cincinnati would probably interject a hundred Kentucky/barefoot jokes right now, but even they would be stunned by some of the stuff I learned.

It's narrated by Ashley Judd, and it's a mix of slideshows, video clips and tons of interviews with famous Kentuckians. And when they get to the part about the Derby, it got a bit misty. It never gets old and it's always gets me misty, seeing all those horses run, all the people and best of all, hearing 250,000 people singing My Old Kentucky Home. You can't experience that and not get choked up. I won't believe it.

So well done, mom. 30 minutes that made me feel a lot better about being from the Bluegrass State.

No comments: