Sunday, December 21, 2008

Holiday Road: Singalong

Now that we have made it to the farm for the first half of our holiday journey, now comes the fun parts. That is, me taking part in the family traditions of my goddess' clan that I was able to avoid during the opening 10 years of courtship. I got a "Get Out of Family Affairs Free" card because I normally had to go to Louisville and hang out with my event-free family. Now, I'm trapped in these activities like a prisoner in a Saw movie.

Last night's activity was a christmas concert at the family's Baptist church. One of the main performers was the wife's nephew, who is 4 years old and a maniac of Dennis the Menace proportions. Kid is great, but focused attention is not his forte, let alone any kid that age.

It was a trip watching him "perform," which basically meant him standing on the alter and repeatedly jamming his hands into his pants. Not sure if he was nervous or searching for gold, but those hands were firm in place. Also firm in place were his lips, which barely uttered a sound. As a nutcracker, he was spot-on. As a singer, not so much.

But it all turned out well, even if the band director got his god on to a level closely approaching spooky, and there was also a dude in the front row who started openly weeping because he couldn't stop coughing. Oh, and the music, while traditional Christmas tunes, were re-arranged by some fancy producer. They all sounded more like showtunes or Celine Dion tracks. Not entirely convinced that is what jesus would want. But what do I know?

No comments: