Friday, June 12, 2009

My Good Deed ... Sort Of

So I set off this morning to do a good deed for the day, and my mom (as if on cue) came right in with a solid. She forwarded me this e-mail about how telemarketers at the end of month were going to start blasting my cell phone with sales pitches, text messages and pretty much making it impossible to keep my iPhone's battery stable for more than 5 hours at a time.

I took the e-mail's advice and called the Do Not Call registry (888-382-1222) and registered my cell phone. Luckily, it only takes about 30 seconds and was super easy to do, so go for it if you wish. Of course, it was soon after when my good deed got put in its place.

I forwarded the e-mail to the wife and her mother, thinking I was being the good husband/son-in-law. For some reason, however, I was blanking completely on the fact that the wife works for the same government agency that handles this stuff. I was quickly reminded that, according to said agency's website: "You may have received an email telling you that your cell phone is about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls as a result of a new cell phone number database; however, that is not the case. Federal Communications Commission regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers."

1) It doesn't hurt to have me cell phone registered, so that's fine.

2) This is what I get for trusting my mother with technology. I know better than this. It took me two hours just to get her to understand how to work an mp3 player.

2 comments:

KM said...

Don't feel bad. My mom got me with the same thing. That was the end of me taking tech-related advice from moms, and also the same day I introduced her to snopes.com...

GreenMom said...

ok you guys.....quit the mom bashing.....another example of "no good deed goes unpunished!"