Monday, June 1, 2009

Can We Get Some Justice?

There is no denying that I am staunchly against the death penalty. There is nothing good about state-sanctioned killing of its own citizens. I just don't believe. Plus, you take the data saying that a disproportionate number of death row inmates are black versus the crimes they commit and you can see some eerie signs that it's a racist system. Add in that it costs more to kill a death row inmate that keep them in prison for life without parole and I'm sold. States all across the country are putting moratoriums on the death penalty (sadly, Kentucky is not one of them) and we're with some very poor company (Iran, China, Saudi Arabia) in terms of other countries that still practice the death penalty. So briefly, wrapping up, I don't like the death penalty and think we should bag it altogether.

But in the world in which we live that has not happened yet, and where I am most concerned about it is in cases like Troy Davis. His execution date has not yet been set, but he is on death row and he really only has one chance left, which is a petition currently in front of the Supreme Court. I won't get into all the details, because these two columnists lay it out there sufficiently enough. What I do know is that after reading more and more about the case, I have serious doubts about this guy's guilt, which means the idea of our highest court upholding his execution makes me really effing angry. Yes, he may actually be guilty, but there are a ton of people who are equally having serious doubts, and I think it's time this man had a better shot at justice. I hope the Court allows the hearing of new evidence, because in no "civilized" nation should our government be killing people who are (potentially) innocent.

No comments: