Sunday, October 5, 2008

Pleasing the Crowd

Have to quickly give props to my new band, who rose the occasion last night. After chowing down on some homemade vittles, I was stunned by everyone's giddy desire to fire up Rock Band 2 and thrash the night away. Reviewing video games is fun, and some of my late-night Gears of War sessions with my friends back in Cincy and Lexington are always a pleasure (and when is halving locusts with a chainsaw not?). But this was different, because now we had the ladies eagerly joining in.

We all took turns at various instruments. Dr. Dan struggled throughout with the guitar but found some comfort in vocals (at least when he was wailing out Man in the Box). K-Martin was solid all around, having no trouble either at drums or lead guitar. The main ladies behind the mic were Ashley and Sheri, who certainly enjoyed the evening even if they failed to hit a single note unless it was a spoken-word song. I always fare well in the guitar department, and for the first time I pick up the drumsticks and learned that with some more practice I won't be half-bad at it. But the big ups for the evening had to go to my goddess divine, who has always jokingly shunned my reviewing of video games. Normally she moans about the space they take up, the joy I get from shooting aliens or defeating U of L in football. Yet there she was, banging away like my own little Keith Moon. And she loved it. So now I've got her right where I want her.

By the end of the evening, after several encore performances, everyone agreed a national tour was in order. First we take IHOP, then we take the world!

No comments: