Sunday, November 23, 2008

Needing The Piemaker's Touch

I don't watch a lot of TV. I do watch lots of movies and I like some HBO and NBC shows, but for the most part I stick to watching the Planet Green channel and stuff like that. But one of the newer shows that I got instantly hooked on is Pushing Daisies. It's a wildly intelligent show that (rarely) appeals to both me and the lady. The humor and design of the show is fantastic and visually enjoyable for me, while she loves the inclusion of a cutesy love story and most importantly Kristin Chenoweth in the cast. And if Kristin happens to sing during a given episode, goodness gracious you could kill my lady right there on the spot and she'd be OK with it. Here's two scenes in which she sings, and to make me happy, one of them is a They Might Be Giants song:



Well, I bring all of this up because ABC has pulled the plug on the show. It sucks. For the first time in several years I have invested in a primetime show and now it's going away. This was a damn Emmy nominee and was loved by critics, but apparently 7 million viewers a week can't sustain a show anymore. Complete bullshit if you ask me. So now they'll produce more useless shite like dancing with B Movie Stars or Jennifer Grey's Life After Dirty Dancing. Some kind of crap like that.

I will miss this show's costume and set design that looked like something a chipper Tim Burton would put together. They had a great dog, Digby, and Kristin got a pet pig named Pigby. Just too damn funny. The narrator often did his bits in rhyme, and everything about the show was original and unique, something rare in modern TV. Yet once again the forces of creativity are being squashed in favor of the forces of meaningless repetition.

Now, ABC has not completely cancelled the show, but the hiatus they have ordered may as well be the deathknell. There are only a few episodes left, and I wish that a revolt that saved Jericho a couple years back would happen here, but it looks like the Piemaker will have to close up his shop, and it saddens me. So to reminisce, here are someone's top 20 scenes in the show in it's brief season-and-a-half run.


No comments: