Sunday, November 30, 2008

What I've Watched: Role Models

I admit to having gargantuanly low expectations for this movie. Dan wanted to see it, and I couldn't come up with a good enough reason to avoid it. I cannot overstate my lowered expectations. Short of 90 minutes of two guys crapping in a meadow, I was not imagining anything resembling a decent flick.

In Role Models you have two guys playing roles we all know, because they have done them before and they have simply changed the names because that sis what writers do when grasping for straws. Sean William Scott plays Wheeler, which is as useful a name as Stifler, and in this movie he's just another womanizer who dresses as a minotaur. Paul Rudd plays ... well, he plays Paul Rudd. Which is to say that he is the same frickin guy in every movie, and this one is no different. Imagine his typical burnt-out guy who is a jokester but has woman troubles, and so he figures it all out, only after getting dumped by his lady and becoming friends with a 15 year old.

I can say that this movie did have some funny lines in it, mainly uttered by the two kids in the movie (one of them is McLovin), and also Jane Lynch from the Christopher Guest movies. There is also a huge subplot involving the Darkon people, and after watching the documentary just a few days previous it was pretty damn funny to have a connection to the movie. But I have to say that there was no coherent plot, just a bunch of funny lines and some scenes thrown together. It didn't make much sense, and it definitely was not worth the $11 per ticket I paid to see it, but I am not going to hold it against Dan. I know my wife has the group has taken the group to movies we all thought were just hideous. Me, I'd never do such a thing. Ever.

No comments: