Thursday, November 20, 2008

What I've Watched: Darkon

Documentaries don't all have to be about WWII, the Iraq War or how stupid Fox News is (if you don't know it by now, shame on you). Good docs can also be found when the subject is some of the off-color groups of people in our world who have, some would argue, total shit for brains.

Point in reference, the freaks in Trekkies. By the way, that dude is my hero. OK, maybe not, but if you had any reason to doubt watching Trekkies, the movie is like 2 hours of that kid and all his friends. You're are missing out on the joys of life if you have missed that movie. Or perhaps the evil waste of a human being in King of Kong is more your style. Either way, there are some great documentaries out there that highlight the bizarre nature of our fellow earthlings.

Darkon definitely resides in that category. It's not as funny, per se, as some of those other flicks, but it nevertheless has a place because this is all about a community of people near Baltimore who twice each month get together and live out Medieval times. They do this on soccer fields at local schools. Or in parks where there are children playing. Umm, hello? People should stop worrying about gays getting married and instead worry about their kids getting converted by these people.

These people get a little too into this stuff. I mean, I can admit to playing some D&D when I was a teenager and even now I get online with friends and play some raging sessions of Gears of War 2. But I don't assume the role of a dark elf trying to buy my freedom from the guy two houses away who apparently runs our mythical nation. That's just taking it a bit too far. And wait until you see how these people live. My lord, there are dead people with better living conditions. I highly recommend watching this flick, because these people are out there, folks, and we need to know more about them. They may have the keys to the kingdom if the apocalypse ever arrives.

No comments: